top of page
  • Writer's pictureJody Glynn Patrick

Surgery: Bright Lights, Bright Future

The surgery was moved up twice, so I was to check in at Baptist Beaches Hospital at 10:15 yesterday, with robotic surgery beginning at 11:30. They had me sign more release forms, then off to a room where I’d meet several surgical nurses, the anesthesiologist, and my doctor.

After my morning shower, I’d been told to wait an hour, then wipe myself down with special antibacterial wipes supplied by the hospital, and air dry. Then no underwear – just the dress I’d wear. I was to repeat those wipes at the hospital and put on a gown. Then I was given two betadine swabs to rub on the inside of my nose to prepare it for oxygen assistance. (I’d be put on a breathing machine with the tube down my throat during surgery). An IV was set up and they took blood from that line. Unfortunately, my potassium levels were showing too high, so they waited and then took the blood again. After a short wait for surgeon/anesthesiology consultations, I was still cleared for surgery (high potassium can cause heart issues under sedation).

A motion-sickness patch was put behind my ear (good for 3 days) to help me conquer my nausea associated with pain medication. I was warned not to touch it and then my eyes; it would make my pupils look like saucers. (I’ll wear gloves to remove it tomorrow.)

The hospital uses mylar blankets filled by a machine with warm air. So, so comfy!

Then off to surgery. The last thing I remember is seeing a lot of people, bright lights, cold room. I don’t remember anything else, including the administration of the sedative via IV. I remember waking up one room and being taken to another, and Kevin coming in. I don’t remember meeting with the doctor (who had already met with Kev). I remember being taken to the bathroom. The catheter had been removed and I to prove I didn't need it before release.

Here’s the report: (I’d say “final report” but we’re still waiting for the results of the lymph node testing) the doctor told Kevin that I did amazing in surgery – so well that it only took one hour instead of two. No complications of any kind, including the anesthesiology.

She said that we caught it very early. Essentially, cancer was making a bed in my body, but it didn’t have time to fully settle in because we found its preparations early with the cat scan (fluid buildup), ultrasound (endometrial stripe buildup) and biopsy (suspicious cells). She believes it was contained to that area, and though the lymph node test isn’t yet in, she doesn’t believe it travelled outside of the organs that she removed. So that means that as of yesterday, I AM TRULY CANCER FREE!! No radiation, no chemo scheduled. Hallelujah!

I was released from the hospital about 4 p.m.

52 views1 comment

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page